Sunday, April 22, 2012

Internal Air Pollution in Developing Countries: Magnitude


As you may note, the subject for my paper has changed.  I realized as I really delved into the research that I was having trouble finding concrete indicators of magnitude.  Additionally, I looked ahead and found myself at a loss when it came to solutions.  I am no environmental engineer and so had no idea how to fix the problem of trichloromethanes in our drinking water.  Thus, my paper topic has changed to something I find very interesting and one that I know with have a wealth of research for me: Indoor Air Pollution(IAP) in Developing Countries.  Most of the time, IAP is forgotten behind the daunting efforts put in place to improve water sanitation. IAP leads to overwhelming death and, therefore, should also be a focus of public health policy makers and activists.

With a change in topic, my problem statement has changed as well.  My new problem statement is as follows:
For the past decade, indoor air pollutant levels in developing countries where solid biomass constitutes the main fuel source have exceeded the WHO and EPA recommended limit by twenty times.
With these extremely high levels of indoor air pollution comes extremely high levels of associated diseases and even mortality.  In fact, according to the WHO, since 200, internal air pollution has been the cause of approximately 1.6 million deaths a year.  In other words, around 3-4% of all deaths around the world can be linked to IAP (Oluwole, 2012).  As can be seen by these numbers, indoor air pollution is a major health problem. 

The problem of indoor air pollution is mostly found in rural parts of developing nations and not developed nations, so our focus should be directed there.  90% of rural households in developing countries use solid biomass as their only source of energy for activities such as cooking.  It has been noted that in these rural households, internal air pollution levels exceed EPA standards daily and by ten to twentyfold (Bruce, 2002).  Also, it has been noted that approximately 80% of all global exposure to particulate matter happens inside the home in developing nations (Ezzati, 2001). 

Now we have come full circle back to the problem statement.  Indoor air pollution is very high inside of rural households in developing countries.  This air pollution leads to great morbidity and mortality.  In essence, the magnitude of the problem reaches across the world and affects a great amount of the world population.

The data presented most likely come from active surveillance.  With little to no health infrastructure in most of these developing nations, public health data are sparse and therefore many studies must be done by visiting the nations and doing studies there.  Given the nature of these studies, the majority of the data presented will be estimations.  They cannot reach out to every single person in every developing nation.  They can, however, obtain data from multiple locations in multiple developing nations and generalize it to the whole population.  Still the data are very sound because they have come from direct measurements.

Ezzati, M., Kammen, D.M. (2001) Indoor air pollution from biomass combustion and acute respiratory infections in Kenya: an exposure-response study. The Lancet 358: 619-624.

Oluwole, O., Otaniyi, O.O., Ana, G.A., Olopade, C.O. (2012) Indoor air pollution from biomass fuels: a major health hazard in developing countries. J Public Health.

Bruce, N., Perez-Padilla, R., Albalak, R. (2002) The health effects of indoor air pollution exposure in developing countries. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO.

5 comments:

  1. Wren,
    I like your new problem statement. I think that this is a very unique and interesting topic and I am sure you will be one of the only people talking about it in our class. IAP is a very important constituent to diseases and illness not fully realized by the majority of public health, because like you said, most people focus on other issues like water quality. The staggering numbers that you showed here demonstrate its severity. I am interested to learn more about this problem, and also what solutions you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wren,

    I really like your new problem statement too. The problem of Indoor Air Pollution is one that is not as big a focus in the Public health eye as many other problems but the Magnitude that it is beginning to represent is alarming. I thought that this was very interesting so after a little research on my own I found out more about the problem and it's severity. Thanks for the insight Wren and think that this will lead to a really great final paper topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wren,

    I think you have a great new problem statement. Having clean air circulating around us is definitely something many people, myself included, take for granted every day. It seems that you have some great information resources as well.

    Jameson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indoor air pollution is definitely something that rarely crosses my mind; usually, I associate pollution with the outdoor/outside world. It's great that you chose this topic and brought it to my attention, as well as to the attention of other students! The statistics and numbers you've referenced are pretty shocking, but also really interesting. Your focus on rural areas in developing countries is a great idea, and it seems like you've done a good job of honing in on specifics regarding this topic, which would have been worldwide and very broad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wren,

    I really like your problem statement! It's obvious that you've done a fair bit of reading on this and that there is substantial information on it. I just wonder if doing all developing countries might still be too broad, but I think that it might actually work for this assignment. Good job!

    ReplyDelete