Friday, March 9, 2012

Successful Public Health


The world around us is changing.  As it changes, so too must changes to our public health goals and targets occur.  Every decade the CDC puts together a list of the ten greatest public health achievements of the past ten years, showcasing how public health has advanced to conquer new and old problems.  This report focused on the years of 2001-2010. 
The first major achievement was the work against vaccine-preventable diseases, where the introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine and rotavirus were the biggest successes.  Next up was the prevention and control of infectious diseases.  For example, many strides have been made in catching contaminated food products early.  For tobacco, there has been a slowing decline in use.  Many advances have been made for maternal and infant health, such as technological improvements for newborn screening.  Continued efforts are being made in the field of motor vehicle safety.  Cardiovascular disease and cancer prevention have also seen great improvements over the decade.  Much progress was made for workplace safety and worker care.  The war against lead has caused declines in lead poisoning nationwide.  Finally, given the many terrorist events, natural disasters, and disease breakouts, the public health infrastructure has been radically revamped to be more prepared and proactive.
I enjoyed the article, finding it very informative.  However, I do find myself skeptical of a few statistics, mainly those saying something like “rates declined from 2002-2006”.  I found myself asking, well what happened after 2006?  Is there still a decline or are things actually taking a turn for the worse and the incidence of the problem is rising?  It just seems odd to me that they would not show statistics all the way through to 2010.  Of course, this may just be because of lack of information, but my skepticism still remains.
The two problems that I found to be most interesting were tobacco use and vehicle safety.  While I do have emotional ties to both issues, having lost my grandmother to lung cancer and having gone through a severe car accident myself, my reasons for taking a lot from these two issues stems from something else entirely.  I find these issues to be a little silly because they are so preventable, deriving mostly from human error and poor choices.  In fact, I find it odd that smoking is still such a large problem, but know this has a lot to do with money and lobbyist.  As for cars, I realize that no matter how much public health does, vehicles will always be dangerous because the people behind the wheels make mistakes and poor choices.
An issue that I would like to see in the next issue of the CDC public health report would be the obesity epidemic.  The problem here is that across the country more and more people are passing the obesity mark on the BMI scale.  This problem is again mostly preventable by human choice.  I think we are already on the right track with strong advocacy for the issue and changes in eating habits, such as more organic foods.  A big problem, though, is that fast food is more convenient and sometimes cheaper than eating nutritious food from the market.  One way then to possibly attack the obesity epidemic would be to put a higher tax on fast food.  Of course, there are many ways to deal with this and I hope to see new practices put into place in the following years.

4 comments:

  1. I thought this was a very interesting blog. You did a great job of explaining the article, but what I enjoyed most was your skepticism of some of the statistics. It is interesting to see that they highlighted certain areas of achievement and left other information out, I guess it wouldn't have been a very good achievement list otherwise. I look forward to reading more.

    Jameson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn’t considered what happened after 2006. That’s a really good question! I wonder why the statistics stopped at that time. You also make a good point regarding what public health includes. A lot of the public health issues that we face seem to occur because of personal choice and/or error. (Of course there are exceptions: vaccines, cancer, etc.) Sometimes it seems like the public health field is trying to save us from ourselves. I enjoyed your insights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your insights were very interesting and it always a good idea to question statistics! I'm a firm believer in following the numbers but I also like to know what they mean EXACTLY. I totally agree with the Obesity crisis and really would see changes in the way nutrition is offered to young people; Changes like healthier school lunches and healthier thinks to drink that don't consist of dyes and sugar. I have an article I would like to share with you about the lunch programs in some schools. This article does nicely with your points made in your blog.

    Follow this link
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/05/pink-slime-for-school-lun_n_1322325.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wren, you did a really fantastic job with this blog! Your summary of the article was well-done, and I appreciate your skepticism of the statistics. It is important to always be on the look-out for indicators that may be misleading. However, don’t let them convince you that the author isn’t telling you the whole story on purpose – as you point out, it could be that the data is just not yet available. Good thoughts on this!

    I really enjoyed your discussion of smoking and motor vehicle accidents. Thank you for sharing your personal experiences. Even though you have other reasons for finding these topics interesting, having a deeper connection to them and seeing the negative consequences first-hand must have left a lasting impact.

    I agree that both are frustrating because they are preventable. Smoking has made significant headway, but often people start smoking as teenagers, or even younger, which too often makes life-long smokers. There are many articles written about how the tobacco and alcohol industries have targeted youth in order to get brand loyalty at an early age. Check out this link: http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/9/2/136.full.pdf+html

    Regarding car safety and accidents, I agree that people will always make poor choices, but do you think that there are things that the government can do that could decrease either the risk that they will do unfortunate things, or that even if they do, that they will not be as injured as badly? For example, checkpoints for drunk driving have been shown to decrease the prevalence in towns where they are regularly implemented, airbags and seatbelts decrease the death rates of those in accidents. Do you think that there could be new innovations in the next decade that could further reduce injury/mortality rates?

    I agree with you that the obesity epidemic is a critical challenge. Taxing fast food is one way to try to decrease intake, but do you think that this will be successful anywhere in the United States? The soda industry has blocked many attempts to place a soda tax (New York State, Philadelphia) and has just blocked one in Hawaii, article from today: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-03-13/anti-obesity-soda-tax-fails-as-lobbyists-spend-millions-retail

    Is soda the next tobacco? Would fast food fare better, meaning would it be easier to pass a tax on it?
    I would love to see a tax on fast food and soda, and make healthier food more accessible for those who need it most, which is nearly everyone these days.

    Great job on this blog! I look forward to next week!

    ReplyDelete